Sunday 20 May 2012

Easy As Apple Pie

Lately I have been baking all the time. Something I have always wanted to make was a good apple pie from scratch, pastry and all. All of the recipes I have seen for this look a bit time consuming and involved. Until I found one in a great little cookbook: A Generous Helping.

This book, given to me by my Dad, is compiled of recipes from Queenslanders around the time of the Queensland floods in early 2011. I have used several recipes from this book and it is my new go-to and favourite.

These apple pies are so easy to make up that I now make 1-2 a week!
Recipe below...

Pastry:

1 & 1/2 cups of plain flour
3/4 cup of sugar (I use castor sugar)
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 egg
125g butter, melted
1 small pinch of cinnamon (this is my extra little something)

Filling (this is my own variation):
5-6 green apples, peeled and diced (fresh is best but use canned if you prefer)
25g butter
25g caster sugar
Pinch of cinnamon

What to do:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

For the pastry, combine all ingredients together and press into a pie dish, reserving about a third of the pastry for the top of the pie (no need to grease the pie dish as the butter in the mixture will substitute).

Meanwhile, make the apple mixture; if you're using canned apples, mix all the filling ingredients together and put into the the pastry lined pie dish. If you're making the filling from scratch, place the diced apples, butter, cinnamon and sugar in a saucepan on moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the apples are soft.

Then, spoon the apples into the pastry-lined pie dish.

The recipe says to crumble the the remaining pastry on the apples, creating the top. However I prefer to roll out the the leftover pastry between two sheets of baking paper and carefully drape it on top of the pie with apples.

Then this all goes into the oven for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.

And that's it! Trust me, it takes no time at all once you've done it a couple of times! I have also tried bottled peaches instead of apples and it's pretty good too.


I recently converted this apple pie pastry to make little Caramel Kisses, instead of using a biscuit base and it was delish!

Hopefully more recipes to come soon :)




A Generous Helping is by Madonna King & Alison Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment